2012-02-14

Classic Film Meme

Originally authored by Rianna over at Frankly, My Dear, I've decided to take the time to make this meme. It gives me a break from trying to figure how to watch all the Oscar nominated picture of the year...

1. Favorite Disney.
This is a tricky question, because I really love classic Disney films. But my personal favorite one is without a doubt The Jungle Book. It reminds me of many childhood  memories not just of the film but because my mother used to make us watch all those National Geographic documentaries on rainy days.

2. Favorite film from 1939.

La règle du jeu aka The Rules of the Game. Jean Renoir's greatest masterpiece depicts what it is that makes filmmaking an Art. Just like his father, he masters wonderful tricks of "mise en scène". Orson Welles and Peter Bogdanovich agreed on many things during their great friendship but the thing they agreed the most their favorite filmmaker: Jean Renoir.

3. Favorite Carole Lombard Screwball role
Since I have only seen To Be or Not To Be so it will be my answer. However, I 've been meaning to watch Hawks' Twentieth Century for some time now. Based on the only movie I've seen of Lombard she is a potential favorite Classic actress and a very handsome lady.

4. Favorite off screen couple? (It's ok if it ended in divorce)
No idea.

5. Favorite pair of best friends? (i.e - Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda, Joan Crawford and Barbara Stanwyck, etc.)

John Wayne and Howard Hawks. They were making films as pretext to pass some time with each other. They also contributed to the Cinema with great westerns (Rio Bravo, Red River, El Dorado) and one of my favorite film: Hatari!

6. Favorite actor with a mustache? (i.e: Charlie Chaplin, William Powell)
Since Chaplin is a given and Tom Selleck is outside of the time frame I would have to say Clark Gable. Just for his Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

7. Favorite blonde actress?

Marylin Monroe. Obvious choice but her presence in many of my favorite director's pictures; Hawks (Monkey Business), Wilder (Some Like It Hot), Huston (The Asphalt Jungle, The Misfits), etc.

8. Favorite pre-code?
Design For Living. Ernst Lubitsch and his touch always works on me. This a picture where a love triangle is displayed and sex is overtly discussed. A must see for sure!

9. Which studio would you have liked to join?
The first moments of United Artists but definitely RKO just to have the chance to work with Orson Welles and to save The Magnificent Ambersons from being butchered by the studio...

10. Favorite common on screen pairing that SHOULD have gotten married?
Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly. Their relationship in Rear Window makes you believe that those two actually felt in love with each other.

11. Favorite I Love Lucy episode?
Let's pass. I've never seen one episode of this show.

12. Lucille Ball, Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman, and Greer Garson - which one do you like the best?

Grace Kelly, just for her role in Hitchcock's To Catch A Thief. Man is she hot. But also because I think she had a great talent.

13. Shadowy film noir from the 1940's or splashy colorful musicals from the 1950's?
It's like asking me if I want cake or pie. I want both I love both! Yes I confess I am such a sweet tooth. But I think I'll have to surpringly answer splashy musicals from the 1950's. The first movies that comes in mind is An American in Paris, The Red Shoes (1948, is a cheat but it is a masterpiece), and Singin' In the Rain.

14. Actor or actress with the best autograph (photo preferred)?
Seriously, who cares? But I know I would have loved to ask Charlie Chaplin's autograph just to meet him.


15. A baby (or childhood or teenage) photo of either your favorite actress or actor (or both, if you'd like)?It would have to be Chaplin but I couldn't put my hand on a childhood picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...