2012-03-05

Top Films of Ingmar Bergman by LMdC


The most recognized Scandinavian filmmaker of all time, Ingmar Bergman, left a myriad of wonderful films. Many of his masterpieces are ranked amongst the greatests films of Cinema. Working as well into Theater and Films, Bergman was highly influenced by Shakespeare and Strindberg. Crafted with a regular crew of actors (Max Von Sydow, Gunnar Bjornstand, Erland Josephson), actresses (Liv Ullman, Bibi Andersson, Ingrid Thulin)  and technicians (Sven Nykvist) he kept a tremendous pace in the late 1950's, 1960's, and in the 1970's. In 1982, he decided that Fanny and Alexander would be his ultimate oeuvre. However, he worked for television and saw these work released in Theaters ouside of Sweden.
Here's to one of the greatest directors:

1. Wild Strawberries (1957)
2. The Seventh Seal (1957)
3. Fanny and Alexander (1982)
4. Persona (1966)
5. The Magician (1958)
6. Cries and Whispers (1972)
7. Winter Light (1962)

8. The Virgin Spring (1959)
9. Scenes from a Marriage (1973)
10. The Silence (1963)
11. Shame (1968)
12. Saraband (2003)
13. Hour of the Wolf (1968)
14. Autumn Sonata (1978)

I still need to see: The Devil's Wanton (1949) To Joy (1950) Illicit Interlude (1951) Summer With Monika (1952) Sawdust and Tinsel (1953) Smiles of a Summer Night (1955) Brink of Life (1958) Through a Glass Darkly (1962) The Passion of Anna (1969) The Touch (1971) From the Life of the Marionettes (1980) After the Rehearsal (1984) In the Presence of a Clown (1997)

6 comments:

  1. This is one acclaimed director that I just haven't connected with, for whatever reason. I've seen all the movies in your top 4. I liked The Seventh Seal, but based on its reputation I was expecting to be blown away by it and I wasn't. By the end of Fanny and Alexander I was more than ready to see it stop - and I apparently saw the "short" 3 hour version.

    I will probably still try a few more of his movies at some point. It took me a few Fellini films before I saw one I liked a lot (Nights of Cabiria).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bergman is one of those directors you have to watch many films to fully appreciate the work. I recommend the Silence of God trilogy with thwe two I have seen The Silence and Winter Light.

      Delete
  2. I've seen almost 30 Bergman films, and I have yet to see one that I'd call bad. They've all been good, and most have been great. The Seventh Seal and Winter Light are two of my favorites ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on that! Winter Light isn't always one of Bergman's primarily listed films, but I really love it. I wish to see more of his films this year!

      Delete
  3. Wild Strawberries is also my number 1, it's such a mesmerizing, magical movie. Through a Glass Darkly is definetly worth watching, one of his greatest films with amazing performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommandation Sati. I will be watching it very soon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...