2012-06-19

Ten Best Actresses of All Time Relay Race


I didn't thought that my name would come up in this superb relay race. But I must say that I am very glad to have been chosen to put a little bit of myself into it.

Originally conceived by the genius Nostra of My Filmviews, and passed on to me by Bonjour Tristesse, the concept of this blog-a-thon is as follows:

“I’ve created a list of what I think are the best actresses of all time. At the end of the post I, just like in a real relay race, hand over the baton to another blogger who will write his own post. This blogger will have to remove one actress (that is an obligation) and add his/her own choice and describe why he/she did this. At the end the blogger chooses another blogger to do the same. The idea is to make this a long race, so that enough bloggers get a chance to remove and add an actress. We will end up with a list (not ranked in order) which represents a common agreement of the best actresses. It will also mean that those who follow this relay race will get to know new blogs as well!”

Here is a list of the blogs that have participated thus far:
And the current line-up:

Audrey Hepburn
Barbara Stanwyck
Cate Blanchett
Ingrid Bergman
Isabelle Huppert
Julianne Moore
Juliette Binoche

Maggie Cheung
Katherine Hepburn
Meryl Streep
My Removal:

Well, this is a very difficult task because the obvious non-sensical names have been removed and we have the cream on the top of the cream here. All these women deserve their place amongst those ranks. But I had to narrow the perspectives and removed the actress I thought that she can still do even more important roles than what she has done in the past. While impersonating Bob Dylan with so much rightness that the other outstanding performances in I'm Not There seemed pale.

Goodbye! Cate Blanchett

So I remove Cate Blanchett. One of the top names of today. And i stand behind my choices because I think she is probably just a little bit under the other nine actresses here.


My Addition:




Now with my pick, I would say that it was such a head scratcher because I'm not an actor/actress person at first. However, like Bonjour Tristesse mentionned before me I could replace names that were removed previously Marylin Monroe, Liv Ullmann, or Gena Rowlands.



The fun in this exercise is to include fresh names and challenge them with everyone's opinion.


I've decided to go with a great actress and probably one of the most important woman in Cinema History:




Lillian Gish
Here are my reasons why:

First because she was one of the most important leading ladies of Cinema. Having starred in more than a hundred films since 1912 with a career that spread until 1987. Starring in important Silent films of D.W. Griffith like Way Down East, The Birth of a Nation, Intolerance, Broken Blossoms just to name a few and Victor Sjöström's The Wind, Charles Laughton's The Night of the Hunter,

My love of Silent and Classic Films leaded me to Gish's monument of acting and her superb screen presence.

Well there you have it, I now pass the baton over to Kevyn Knox from The Most Beautiful Fraud In The World. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

What do you think of my choices?

10 comments:

  1. Very nice selection and reasoning. I have to admit I've only seen a small handful of Gish's work, but anyone with a 75 year long acting career surely deserves to be in the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to add someone from the Sielnt era. I'm curious to see if she's gonna stay long on the list...

      Delete
  2. I'm on it. Will post my edition asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm looking forward to read this.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My post will be up and running on Friday. I will send you the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's an impressive career and I must admit I have only seen The Night of the Hunter when it comes to the movies you mention. Shame to see Blanchett go though.

    Thanks for joining the race!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to admit that I've only seen her in The Night of the Hunter (of the movies you mention), but that's an impressive career. Shame to see Blanchett go though!

    Thanks for joining the race!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...