2012-10-01

Movie Watching Goals For October 2012




As I stated earlier in June this year those are the movies I was supposed to watch during the month of October:

Rightly titled for this month.
The films
I Walked with A Zombie
Night of the Demon
The Haunting
(1963)
Doctor Phibes Rises Again
The Wicker Man
(1975)
Scream

Additions
Of those films I might pass over the films that are not on the They Shoot Pictures 1000 GreatestFilms of All Time list. And I’ll add the following titles that are on my Pantheon Directors Feature:

Die Nibelungen (1924)

How to
To reach those goals, I’ve decided to put myself to the test to watch at least ten films I’ve never seen before each month. Setting this goal for the first time in October, I know that time, availability, and other restraints will get the best of my good will. However, if I skip any movie a month it will be pushed to the other mother.
As you may have observed, there are many Classic Horror films on this list. A genre I’m trying to get myself into. This is also in the spirit of the month of October to catch some scary features. I’ll also try to post some reviews of my favorite Horror films in some sort of retrospective. So try to come often and don’t forget to leave a comment if you like/dislike the movie discussed.


What do you think of my selection of films? What should I watch first? Any omissions?

6 comments:

  1. From that list, I definitely recommend The Cat People (look for the awesome long shots and film noir shadows), The Wicker Man, and The Thing From Another World (which is all about the fear of science and knowledge in the 1950s).

    I'd hold off on Scream since so much of the enjoyment of that film revolves around understanding and enjoying the horror genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! Knowing that you're a diehard fan of Horror makes this recommandation a high value!

      Delete
  2. Halloween est agréable à regarder pour la tension constante et l'influence particulière qu'il aura sur Scream et le renouveau du cinéma d'horreur vingt ans plus tard. Un film traditionnel pour octobre. Pour la musique aussi,mais c'est à peu près tout.
    Sinon The Innoncents et The Wicker Man sont d'authentiques films de terreur, au sens propre, deux oeuvres étranges, sans brutalité mais qui sont destinées à rester dans nos esprits des années après leur visionnement. Pour ces raisons je les recommandent en priorité.
    Maintenant, si le The Devils de la liste est bien celui de Ken Russel, il n'est nullement question ici d'horreur, d'épouvante ou même de fantastique. Il s'agit d'un film «historique» au sens où l'entendait l'extavagant Russell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci pour ces sages recommandations. Il s'agit bien du film de Russell. Ce n'est peut-être pas de l'horreur mais les thèmes semblent s'y frôler.

      Est-ce le célèbre cinéaste d'horreur Christian Audet qui me fait l'honneur d'un commentaire?

      Ou bien le gore aficionados Jo Nadeau?

      Delete
    2. Audet....
      Ce nom me dit vaguement quelque chose. Mais il ne s'agit surement pas du même mentionné plus haut. Il était ni célèbre ni n'a tourné de l'horreur !
      On sait par contre qu'il tournait en Super-8 et qu'il couchait avec sa caméra Beaulieu de fabrication française qui pesait dans les 25 livres, entre autres histoires.

      Delete
    3. Ce que je sais c'est qu'il est un fan du Evil Dead de Sam Raimi (qui ne l'est pas?) et qu'il tourna de petits bijoux.
      Heureux de voir que tu es toujours assidu ici!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...